Sunday, January 23, 2011

All Dried Out

I think I finally decided what to order from CSN Stores for my product review. And it's totally different than anything I originally had my eyes on. There were so many different home decor items (wall ledges, picture frames, accent tables, etc.) that I loved, but I don't necessarily have a place in mind for them right now and I didn't want something that would just sit around in a box for months.

So I started thinking along the lines of kitchen items instead and began browsing through the small appliances. They had anything from toasters and blenders to waffle-makers and espresso machines... and then I saw the food dehydrators. This isn't something I've necessarily been looking for or anything, but it has crossed my mind once or twice. We used to have one when I was little and I just remember loving the fruit roll-ups! I think it would be a great way to make healthy snacks and eat more fruit (and Luke, of course, is excited about the idea of making jerky).


The Nesco/American Harvest FD-60 Snackmaster Express appeared to have some of the best reviews on CSN, and I also found other positive reviews for it on Amazon. So, I think this is the winner!

Hopefully, it's an appliance that we'll actually utilize on a regular basis instead of neglecting it and letting it collect dust on our pantry shelves (*cough*...not that we have any other appliances like that...). You can be sure I'll let you know how my first dehydrating experience goes!

Does anyone else have a food dehydrator? If so, what's your favorite thing to make?

8 comments:

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

oooo.. I've been wanting one of these, but I've always stopped cause I didn't want another appliance I wouldn't use. But, I think it'd be handy if you use it.

kristi.w. said...

I had one of those! I used to make jerky in it quite a bit. You just get some cheap beef, soak it in soy sauce, add some liquid smoke, and you're good to go. I ended up tossing my dehydrator recently because I hadn't used it in a few years. Last time I used it, I had a mishap where I tried to dry blueberries. Bad idea. They just kind of melted into the grates, and I was never able to get it entirely clean. Oh well. I hope you like yours!

Amanda- Hip House Girl said...

I think that would be fun- especially in the summer when you can get a surplus of fruit from farmers markets and/or gardening. Sun dried tomatoes... mmm. (Or dehydrator dried... whatever.)

Sara @ Russet Street Reno said...

I'm not sure what I would do with it. Maybe the tomatoes...can't wait to see how it works out for you!

Shannon said...

I'd definitely be interested in seeing what you do with it. I'm also trying to narrow down a review item...so many choices!

Kristina @ A Home Made by Kiki said...

I just tried to make my own fruit roll ups last night for the first time(without a dehydrator)...FAIL! I am definitely thinking about getting one of these! Just came across your blog and I am now your newest follower!

Anonymous said...

We have a food drier- it now sits in the attic- we used it once but never really liked it. good luck though.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

We don't have one, but I'll be interested to see what you think! :) Product reviews are fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails